Reporting Procedures for Work-Related Injuries
When a workplace injury occurs:
1. Immediately notify your supervisor or designated Workers’ Compensation contact.
2. Your supervisor/WC contact will provide you with a panel of physicians and have you sign an acknowledgment of receipt.
3. Call Nurse Triage 24 (NT24) toll free at 1-877-234-0898 regardless of the need for medical treatment.
a. If your supervisor/WC contact is available, they will call NT24. A Registered Nurse (RN) will speak with the supervisor/WC contact first and then to you. The RN will ask your supervisor/WC contact to provide you with complete privacy and your personal information will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with your supervisor/WC contact.
b. If your supervisor/WC contact is not available, you must call NT24 directly. If you choose, an RN will obtain a history of the injury and, with you, determine the best course of action based on the symptoms you report. Recommendation can range from simple first aid to recommending you seek treatment by selecting a panel physician. The ultimate decision regarding treatment is yours.
4. If you do not want to speak with a nurse, you must still call 1-877-234-0898 to report your injury. You will be given the option of reporting the injury without nurse assistance.
5. If it is determined that you need to seek medical attention through a physician, you must choose a physician from the panel of physicians list. If you do not receive treatment from a Panel Physician, your Workers’ Compensation benefits may be terminated and your medical bills will not be paid. Please print and take the Medical First Reportform with you to the doctor. If you sustain a compensable work injury, your Workers’ Compensation Administrator will only be responsible for bills from the following:
i. Panel Physicians
ii. Authorized treating specialist
iii. An emergency facility in a true emergency
Please be sure to provide your Workers' Compensation contact with any medical documentation you have related to your visit with the physician.
6. Workers' Compensation First Fill Prescription Form: If you receive a medication prescription related to your work injury after seeing a physician, you should use the First Fill Prescription Form. With this form, a 7 to 10 supply of medication will be provided to you at no cost. Once the claim is received and reviewed by VML, they will let the pharmacy know if the claim is accepted or denied. If accepted, the remaining supply of the medication will be filled. If your claim is denied, you will not have to pay for the supply already received.
Just take this form to a network pharmacy and present this to the pharmacist along with your prescription. The network includes all major chains (CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Walmart, etc.) as well as most of the medium and small local pharmacies (Harris Teeter, Preston Care Pharmacy, Safeway, Giant).
IMPORTANT NOTE: This service does not replace calling 911 when immediate medical attention is required.
Worker's Compensation Forms: