Nottingham Elementary School
PhilosophyAt Nottingham Elementary we value the uniqueness of the individual and believe in responding to the needs of each child. Nottingham, together with the home and community, provides rich opportunities for cognitive, social, emotional, and physical growth.
The Nottingham community is dedicated to the education and development of the whole child -- intellectually, socially, emotionally, culturally and physically. Together, we share the responsibility of helping each child reach his or her potential as a contributing citizen in our rapidly changing global, and digital society.
Living our Mission Statement
- collaborate with one another, parents/guardians, and students
- provide a safe and engaging learning environment
- promote problem solving, creative thinking, and a lifetime love of learning
- work collaboratively with teachers, peers, and parent/guardians
- be the three: safe, caring, and respectful
- be self-advocates
- be responsible digital citizens and aware of their digital footprint
- exhibit a love of learning
BeliefsWe believe that all students:
We believe that in order to fulfill our mission, the school must:
- have the ability to become lifelong learners with proper guidance and encouragement from our school and with support and reinforcement from their parents.
- must be encouraged to express creativity through many venues including music, art, writing, movement, and athletics.
- are more self-fulfilled and make the world a better place when they are respectful, responsible, trustworthy, and kind.-can benefit by being technologically literate in order to strengthen their communication skills and effectively respond to the increasing technological challenges in the world.
We believe that in order for our teachers to support our mission, they must:
- provide a safe, supportive environment in which students feel free to explore, question, learn, and grow.
- provide curriculum which encompasses communication skills, problem solving, critical thinking, and fosters creativity.
- collaborate with our students' families and the community in order to provide rich opportunities for cognitive, social, emotional, and physical growth.
- encourage continuing learning opportunities and professional development for our staff.
- create an environment for our students, teachers and staff which embraces learning with attention to personal growth and responsibility, development, and collaboration.
- provide opportunities to bring students, families, and staff together to celebrate and learn from one another.
- assist each student in developing a positive self-concept and a desire to do his/her best by providing an atmosphere of warm acceptance.
- believe that all children can learn when offered proper guidance and developmentally appropriate strategies.
- encourage each child to strive for academic excellence by becoming resourceful, creative, critical thinkers who are comfortable taking academic risks.
- contribute to and promote collaboration among their students and colleagues in order to meet effectively the diverse needs of our students and staff.
- engage in a cycle of assessment, reflection, and goal setting in order to support student achievement and to further their own intellectual development.
- possess strong skills for problem-solving on the students' behalf.-interact with families to enrich cultural exchange and to promote a mutual understanding of our students' strengths and needs.
GoalsNottingham Elementary is committed to:
- collaborating with our families to help each child further develop the concepts and skills necessary to become a respectful, responsible, trustworthy, kind and contributing member of our school, community, and the world.
- integrating instruction with core academic areas mandated by state and federal entities.
- planning and providing opportunities for our families and staff to share cultural heritages and diverse backgrounds in meaningful ways.