Nottingham's Exploration Courtyard
Physical Science ~ Experiment Area
An area for the study of various physical sciences.
- Demonstration area for simple machines and physical principals, i.e., slopes, gears, reflected light, prisms and absorbed energy
- Renewable energy concepts such as solar panel display and wind-power generation with energy storage capacity (batteries)
- Grid system on ground and pathways illustrating shapes, area and perimeter
- Model of Earth with tilted axis
- Sound experiment, with wind chimes
- Weather observation area with rain gauge, thermometer, barometer, and hygrometer
- Cistern for collecting rainwater, water wheels, locks, hydrodynamic concepts, including buoyancy and displacement
Natural Habitat Area
A natural environment that students can observe and study. It includes a small ecosystem composed of native plants and animals of Northern Virginia, and a planting area designed to illustrate the natural cycle of the seasons, natural deviations of weather and promote an understanding of ecological responsibility and awareness.
- Pond with waterfall for wildlife habitat (i.e., tadpoles, fish and frogs)
- Planting areas with potting station.Planting boxes for harvesting seeds and cold frame
- Bird/Bat houses and nesting areas
- Butterfly garden
- Deciduous and coniferous trees
- Benches for quiet reading and observation
Teaching Pavilion - Lecture/Gathering Area
A multipurpose area for outdoor lectures, crafts, story time, class picnics, Rainbow Pals, Girl/Boy Scouts, etc. including;
- Covered area with central table and benches and movable log stools to accommodate 25 students.
- Area for teacher with table and whiteboard.
- Totem pole carved with characters from children's books (carved into a tree cut down from the school property for the renovation).
- Storage area and cabinets for experiment components and observational equipment such as thermometers, magnifying glasses, magnets, tape measures, compasses, measuring cups, nets, battery boxes, hoses, fountain pump, shovels, buckets, etc.