Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology is the Governor's School for Science and Technology in Northern Virginia. Although located in Fairfax County, admission is open to Arlington students who are highly motivated with a genuine interest in the biological, physical, mathematical, technological, and computer sciences.
Students are selected through a very competitive admissions process and should demonstrate the following characteristics:
- High ability, aptitude, and interest in math, science, and technology.
- Intellectual curiosity and self-motivation to pursue scientific research.
- A desire to be challenged with an extensive curriculum focused in math, science, and technology.
- The highest academic and personal integrity.
Applications are available on TJ's Admission website (www.TJadmissions.org
) beginning on September 22, 2014 at 4:00 pm. Paper applications are also available. Completed applications are due no later than October 17, 2014 at 4:00 pm
. There is a fee of $90 to take the admissions test. Fee waivers are available.
Representatives from TJ will be at Swanson for an information session on Tuesday, October 7 at 8:15 am. Interested students need to sign up in the counseling office by October 3rd.
You are encouraged to attend an open house at Holmes Middle school on Saturday, November 15, 2014 from 9:00 am to noon. Please explore the TJHSST website to complete a practice test in advance of the test. The links: Understanding the Decision Process and Resources (Preparing for the Test on your own) and STEM Resources and calendar are worth investigating.
The admissions test is given on Saturday, December 6 at Swanson.
Math Verification: Ms. Hawes is the TJ liason for Swanson. She will be checking TJ's website once a day and verifying math placements.
Breakdown of key dates for TJHSST:
- October 7th at 8:15 am - TJ Information Session at Swanson Middle School
- October 17th at 4:00 pm - Completed applications must be submitted online (or turned in to Ms. Hawes, if using paper form) by 4:00 pm
- November 15th from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm - TJ open house at Holmes Middle School
- December 6th - TJ admissions test administered at Swanson Middle School. Time TBD
Important dates section:
October 23 7 pm: College fair at Ballston Mall
October 28 7 pm High School Information Night at W-L
January 9 7pm Yorktown parent orientation at Yorktown
January 22 7 pm Wakefield Parent orientation at Wakefield
January 29 7 pm W-L parent orientation at W-L
For an informational PowerPoint about Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, click here!