Assistant to Teacher Program
Arlington Public Schools has provided scholarship funds to support the preparation of assistants to become teachers. This program enables current APS assistants who qualify to participate in a partially funded program to obtain a Virginia teacher license. The APS Human Resources Department and representatives from the local participating universities screen applicants and identify assistants who participate in the Assistant to Teacher Program.
Upon successful completion of the required coursework, participants will receive Virginia licensure in their area of concentration. Participants in the program are expected to fulfill a three year commitment to APS upon completion of the program and should actively seek employment with APS for a teaching position.
To be eligible for this opportunity, applicants must be full-time assistants who:
- Have completed three successful years in Arlington Public Schools
- Are interested in becoming at teacher
Send completed applications to Erin Wales-Smith in the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Make copies for your records. Click here to download the application.
Completed application must include:
- APS Assistant to Teachers Application
- A copy of current resume
- Written goal statement and short essay related to education
- Transcripts that include all relevant coursework
Human Resources and representatives from local universities will review applications and highly qualified candidates will be selected for an interview.
Following the interview and acceptance into the scholarship program, the APS assistant will:
- Commit to completing the endorsement program
- Forward transcripts to Erin Wales-Smith immediately following the successful completion of the courses with an expectation that a grade of C or higher must be obtained to received funding
- Gain licensure in area of concentration
- Actively seek APS teaching opportunities when requirements are met
- Commit to employment in APS a minimum of three additional years from completition of program