The Abingdon Parent Teacher Association (PTA) is comprised of a dedicated group of parents, guardians, teachers, and staff who support the efforts of Abingdon families to enrich our children's elementary school experience.
February 19, 2013
March 12, 2013
April 16, 2013
May 21, 2013
Don't miss these upcoming PTA events*:
March 7 & 8, 2013 (Student holidays) -- Two-day Conference Camp offered by KSS and the PTA
March 15, 2013 (Friday) -- Movie Night, "Wreck-It Ralph," 6 p.m.
March 18-22, 2013 (all week) -- "Bookworm Central" Book Fair in the Library
March 19, 2013 (Tuesday) -- Book Fair Family Night, 5-8 p.m.
April 12, 2013 (Friday) -- Spring Picture Day (individual and class photos)
April 12, 2013 (Friday) -- International Dessert Night, 6:30 p.m.
May 4, 2013 (Saturday) -- Fifth Grade Car Wash
May 6-10, 2013 (all week) -- Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week
May 15, 2013 (Wednesday) -- Math and Science Night
June 3, 2013 (Monday) -- Scout Information Night
June 10, 2013 (Monday) -- RIF Book Distribution
*Dates, events and times are subject to change. Please refer to the weekly PTA Cardinal Courier, the weekly email blast or the Abingdon PTA Facebook page for updated information.
What We Do
- Encourage and recognize student achievement
- Support student clubs and after-school activities;
- Provide opportunities for parental involvement in the school;
- Assist parents with strategies to help their children succeed in school;
- Provide parents, teachers and community members with important information;
- Provide resources for parents, teachers, and students such as funding for library books and teaching materials; and
- Celebrate our school community.
PTA meetings are open to all parents, guardians, teachers, and community members. Free babysitting is provided by professional staff during the meetings.
Meetings include presentations by guest speakers, reports by our school principal and PTA leaders, opportunities to voice your ideas, concerns and questions, and time to meet other parents and teachers.
Membership is open to all Abingdon parents, guardians, teachers, staff and community members. Membership dues are $5 for individuals. Every parent, guardian and teacher is encouraged to become a member of the PTA.
We raise funds ourselves through membership dues, fundraising activities, donations, and small grants. We receive no government funding. PTA funds are used only for activities and resources that support the Abingdon school community.
- Family Nights
- Student Achievement Programs
- Regular PTA Membership Meetings
- Teacher Appreciation Activities
- Scholastic Book Fair
- School Pictures and Yearbook
- Movie Nights
- Hospitality at School Events
- Membership in Arlington, Virginia and National PTA
Parent Involvement at Abingdon
A successful school is one with plenty of parental involvement. You can help by:
- Attending school events such as parent-teacher conferences, family nights and PTA meetings;
- Reading with children and checking homework;
- Ensuring your children are at school on time;
- Contributing food for one of our teacher appreciation activities or social events;
- Helping raise funds to support PTA activities and extra learning resources for students;
- Helping teachers with classroom projects;
- Helping in the library, art room, or science lab;
- Helping beautify the school grounds and maintain the school garden; and
- Volunteering in another way that will support your children's success