Supporting APS' Vision
The Office of Minority Achievement is dedicated to helping students to discover and utilize resources that will help them progress toward their personal goals. This department works to create an equitable, hospitable, appreciative, safe, and inclusive environment for students, families, and staff members, resulting in openness, inclusiveness, respect, and appreciation for diversity of thought, values, cultures, learning styles, perceptions, and actions.
The WMS' Minority Achievement program supports the goals of the APS' Office of Minority Achievement by:
- matching and supporting students' involvement with pre-existing as well as self-initiated educational and/or culturally enriching opportunities.
- teaching parents and students to navigate the system so that educational goals are realistic and attainable.
- encouraging students to take challenging courses throughout their academic careers.
- helping to ensure that students have equal access to all academic programs.
- encouraging students to discover and utilize resources that will help them progress towards their personal goals.
- teaching parents and students to become positive and effective self advocates.
- exposing students to the rigors and expectations of the next level of education.
- providing teachers with direct support and strategies for working with families of a diverse student population.