Welcome to the Jefferson Garden!
A portion of our produce goes to
the Arlington Food Assistance Center (AFAC):
**Over 1,500 pounds of fresh vegetables and fruit donated**
WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE GARDEN?
We continue to weed, mulch and plant for:
- Our student Lawns2Lettuce4Lunch in June.
- Our teachers to use the garden as an outdoor learning space – victory garden, butterfly/pollinator garden, and outdoor classroom to examine environmental relationships.
- Summer donations to AFAC.
- School and community events.
- Connections on an individual, class, group, community level.
Stop by and check out:
- 8 raised beds planted with lettuces and spinach for our Lawns2Lettuce4Lunch in June.
- Handpainted signposts that highlight the many countries (including one Native American tribe) represented in Jefferson’s diverse population of learners.
- The new butterfly/pollinator garden established by our 6th grade Monarchs.
- The Victory Garden established by our Life Skills classes.
LOTS of great learning is occurring in the Jefferson Garden!
GARDEN HOURS - STUDENTS EARN COMMUNITY AND SERVICE HOURS!
Did you know students earn community and service hours when working IN or FOR the garden?? We'll be posting regular In the Garden hours here April-October! We also want to meet with students interested in learning the Business of Running a Garden - they can be grant writers, social media specialists, schedulers and learn the skills by partnering with professionals in our community! Have fun, learn a business skill, AND make a difference!
- Dates and Times Forthcoming for the 2015-2016 School Year.
- Summer Garden Hours Announced via the TJMSListserv!
Would you like the garden to grow a certain vegetable or fruit you want to use at home? Have ideas or want to get involved? We want to hear from you! Contact, Marney Michalowski, PTA Sustainability Chair.
Check out the photos on the Jefferson Garden Facebook page.
JEFFERSON GARDEN IN THE PRESS!
Check us out!
- INSIDENOVA, December 9, 2014 (letter to the Editor from the garden's founding farmers to save the garden!)
- The Washington Post/Kid's Post, November 2, 2014 (our youth gardeners are hungry to help!)
- Arlington Magazine, September-October 2014 (the garden is working its magic!)
APS Green Scene, June 14, 2013 (students,
families, faculty, staff and community members create the garden's master design!) You can also follow the garden on Facebook - LIKE us!
GARDEN DESIGN IS HERE!
Nancy Striniste designed a beautiful and vibrant plan inspired from input by our students, faculty, staff and community. This big-picture, long-term vision features outdoor classrooms, picnic tables, oven, international gardens, amphitheater, fruit trees, pond, rainwater harvesting/exchange systems, accessible raised beds, earth loom, high tunnel, enchanting entrances...lots of potential for enhancing student learning and activity, extending our growing season and fostering community in our garden. The plan is on display in the sitting area of the office. Check it out here, too! You can also view Nancy's presentation, including photos that bring the design elements alive! Stay tuned to provide input on which features you would like to see built in the short-term, mid-term and long-term...and if you would like to help make it happen, contact Marney Michalowski, PTA Sustainability Chair.
There is SO much potential to enhance and feed our young people and our community
physically, academically, socially and emotionally - be a part of it! Read more...and more.
SURVEY COMING SOON! Look for a survey in May 2015 on what new feature(s) from our master plan students, staff and families would like the PTA to focus on building in the garden!
THANK YOU JEFFERSON PTA GARDEN COMMITTEE!!
Patty/John Adair, Kassahun Benti, Meryl Corshen, Julie Dickson, Susan DuBois, Laura Estrada, Jill Flack, Grainne Humphries, Margaret McGilvray/Dan Redmond, Suzanne Mendez, Marney/Mark Michalowski, Betsy/Greg Morse, Susan Nguyen, Betsy Robinson, Susan Schlimme, Jennifer Schoen, Nakeesha Seneb, Susan Spranger, Cemma Tatem, Liz Tefera, Shahira Tewfik, Patricia VandeMeulebroecke, Cristina Zarate-Byers/Bob Byers, Mariia Zimmerman
If you would like to help make a difference IN and OUT of the garden (many types of opportunities to help!), please join us!
Contact Marney Michalowski, PTA Sustainability Chair. For more information about the PTA Garden Committee check out the link at the top of this page (upper left).
Check out lots of garden photos and news
on Facebook - LIKE us!