Welcome to the Jefferson Community Garden!
BREAKING NEWS: Jefferson Middle School students and faculty will participate in our first Community Read in March/April! We invite our families, neighborhoods, feeder elementary schools (recommended for rising 6th graders), community and business partners to join us in reading Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman! In this novella, based in an inner city neighborhood in Cleveland, Ohio, thirteen different narrators/characters find "common ground" by working together to transform a neglected lot into a thriving community garden - and become transformed themselves. Details coming soon on the Jefferson home page. JOIN US Saturday, April 5th for our Community Read Celebration (see date below)! We have invited author, Paul Fleischman, and we hope he'll join our discussion via Skype!
Our great thanks to One More Page Books in Arlington for their support of our Seedfolks Community Read!
Donations from our Garden to the
Arlington Food Assistance Center (AFAC):
**Over 900 pounds of fresh vegetables**
HOLD THE DATE
Tuesday, March 11th, 7p PTA Meeting: Come see and hear about our Garden Master Plan! Nancy Striniste has compiled a beautiful and vibrant design inspired from input by our students, faculty, staff and community! She will present this big-picture vision featuring outdoor classrooms, picnic tables, oven, international gardens, fruit trees, pond, rainwater harvesting system, accessible raised beds, greenhouse/high tunnel, enchanting entrances...lots of potential for enhancing student learning and activity, extending our growing season and fostering the spirit of community in our garden!
- Tuesday, March 25th, 5:30p Dogfish Head Alehouse Fundraiser to benefit (in part) the Jefferson Garden! Join Jefferson families for dinner or visit anytime - the PTA will receive 15% of all purchases all day long! We'll be entertained by "Girl X," a group of current and future Jefferson parents. The PTA will be raffling off some great prizes - instant wine cellar, Elite Island Resort vacations, DC Filmfes package, movie nights, the Comedy Zone DC package, a week of ASA soccer camp, Wooten basketball camp and more! Raffle tickets are 8 for $20 or $5 each. The Alehouse is located in Seven Corners, near Home Depot.
- Saturday, April 5th, 10a-12p Seedfolks Community Read Celebration! Join us for a diverse and engaging discussion of the book, hear from our young people about the themes of diversity/stereotypes/community building, and help us plant lettuce for our Lettuce4Lunch event in June (free salad during lunch for students, faculty and staff). We have extended an invitation and hope author, Paul Fleischman, will join our discussion by Skype!
FUN COMMUNITY AND SERVICE HOURS - STUDENTS AND FAMILIES
Did you know students and families both earn community and service hours when working IN and FOR the garden?? Students can join us in the garden on the following Fridays for fun and community and service hours (meet in the lobby):
- Friday, March 14, 2:30-4:30p Out with the old/make room for spring planting! Also bookmark designing for our Seedfolks Community Read!
- Friday, April 4, 2:30-4:30p Learn about soil testing and help make our soil the best it needs to be! Also, preparation for lettuce planting and other Seedfolks Community Read Celebration activities on Saturday, April 5th!
- Friday, April 25, 2:30-4:30p TBD
- Friday, May 9, 2:30-4:30p TBD
- Friday, May 16, 2:30-4:30p Tomato planting!
- Friday, May 30, 2:30-4:30p The magic of milkweek - a must for butterflies!
- Friday, June 6, 2:30-4:30p TBD
- Friday, June 13, 2:30-4:30p TBD
Have ideas or want to get involved? We want to hear from you! Contact, Marney Michalowski, email@example.com.
Families can get community and service hours (do you need a new Community and Service punch card? Stop by the office and pick one up!) and be eligible for quarterly PTA raffles - and model to our young people the importance and value in volunteering our time and attention! Join us for a garden-related event or activity and earn a punch (or two)!
Make it fun while making a difference...who has more hours, your student or your family?!
Check back...WHEN we thaw, we'll be back out in the garden! Meanwhile, please join us for events listed above!
THANK YOU TO THE JEFFERSON PTA GARDEN COMMITTEE!!
Patty/John Adair, Kassahun Benti, Hillary Berlin, Meryl Corshen, Julie Dickson, Susan DuBois, Laura Estrada, Jill Flack, Melissa Hinkson, Grainne Humphries, Margaret McGilvray/Dan Redmond, Suzanne Mendez, Marney/Mark Michalowski, Betsy/Greg Morse, Betsy Robinson, Susan Schlimme, Jennifer Schoen, Nakeesha Seneb, Susan Spranger, Cemma Tatem, Liz Tefera, Shahira Tewfik, Patricia VandeMeulebroecke, Cristina Zarate-Byers/Bob Byers, Mariia Zimmerman
If you would like to help make a difference IN and OUT of the garden, please join us! Contact Marney Michalowski, PTA Garden Committee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org