Hearty Beef Chili
- 1 28 - ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 10 - ounce can chopped tomatoes and green chile
- 2 cups vegetable juice or tomato juice
- 1 -2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds beef or pork stew meat, cut into 1-inch
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 2 15 - ounce can black beans, kidney beans, and/or
garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- Toppers such as shredded cheddar cheese, dairy sour
cream, snipped fresh cilantro, and/or pitted ripe olives (optional)
In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine
both cans of undrained tomatoes, the vegetable juice, chili powder, cumin,
oregano, and garlic. Stir in the meat, onion, celery, and sweet pepper.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting
for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
If using low-heat setting, turn to
high-heat setting. Stir in the beans. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more. Spoon
into bowls. If desired, serve with toppers. Makes 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 10
PER SERVING: 224 cal., 6 g total fat (2
g sat. fat), 49 mg chol., 807 mg sodium, 24 g carb. (6 g fiber), 24 g pro.
Lean Meat (d.e): 2; Fat (d.e): 0.5;
Starch (d.e): 1; Vegetables (d.e): 2
Courtesy of Diabetic Living,
Mediterranean Roasted Broccoli &
ounces broccoli crowns, trimmed and cut into bite-size
florets (about 4 cups)
cup grape tomatoes
tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly
grated lemon zest
tablespoon lemon juice
pitted black olives, sliced
teaspoon dried oregano
teaspoons capers, rinsed (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Toss broccoli, tomatoes, oil, garlic and salt in a large bowl until evenly coated. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake until the broccoli begins to brown, 10 to
3. Meanwhile, combine lemon zest and juice, olives, oregano and capers (if using) in a large bowl. Add the
roasted vegetables; stir to combine. Serve warm.
Per Serving: cal. (kcal) 76
Fat, total (g) 5, sat. fat (g) 1, carb. (g) 7
Monosaturated fat (g) 4, fiber (g) 3, pro. (g) 3
Vitamin A (IU) 2429.51
Vitamin C (mg) 76.76
Sodium (mg) 264
Potassium (mg) 328
Vegetables () 1
Fat () 1
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Yield: 4 servings, about 1 cup each
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
Courtesy of Recipes.com
Strawberry Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie
In a blender, combine soy milk, oats, banana and strawberries. Add vanilla and sugar if desired. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.
A fast and filling vegan smoothie.