Unit 9 Matter
Big Idea (a broad statement about the science topic we are studying)
Matter has properties that can be observed, described, and measured. Matter can change.
· physical property
· physical change
· chemical change
Essential Questions (for exploring the Big Idea)
· What are some physical properties?
· What are the states of matter?
· What are some changes to matter?
Your child is learning about changes in matter, many of which can be found in your kitchen.
· Invite your child to explain physical and chemical changes. Then go on a hunt for them.
· Do family members drink tea? Coffee? Orange juice from concentrate? Carbonated drinks? All these beverages are solutions, a physical change.
· With your child, see how many mixtures and solutions you can find in the kitchen. Using the ingredients list on a food container, discover what is in each mixture or solution.
· At dinnertime, invite family members to name the parts of the meal that represent physical change and the parts that represent chemical change. (Hint: Cooking food is a chemical change.)
Unidad 9 La materia