Pat Murphy, Arlington Public Schools Superintendent
Dr. Patrick K. Murphy has been Superintendent of Schools since July 1, 2009. An Arlington County resident, Dr. Murphy has been an educator since 1988, serving the Fairfax County Public Schools for 19 of the intervening years in a variety of instructional leadership positions. During the final four years, he served as assistant superintendent for accountability, where he was responsible for testing, research and evaluation, and division- and school-based strategic planning.
Dr. Murphy is a native of Northern Virginia and attended W.T. Woodson High School. Click Here for more information on Dr. Murphy's career as an educator.
Scholastic.com Profiles APS Superintendent Murphy (September 2010)
has posted a Leadership Profile of Dr. Murphy in its online magazine, Administr@tor
What Dr. Murphy is Reading
- Domestic Migration to and from the Washington DC Metropolitan Area 1985-2010 by Lisa A. Sturtevant and Maurice B. Champagne, George Mason University Center for Regional Analysis July 2012
- Insanely Simple by Ken Segall
- Providing Effective Instruction for English Language Learners: The School and District Context, Educational Research Service, 1001 North Fairfax Street, Alexandira, VA 22314-1587.
- It Stems from Algebra by Chris Dede and Jon Star
- The Principal Pipeline by Samantha Cleaver
- Malcom Gladwell, Outliers: The Story of Success
- Carol Dwek, Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
- John Medina, Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School
- Chip Heath and Don Heath, Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard
- Linda Darling-Hammond, The Flat World and Education: How America's Commitment to Equity Will Determine Our Future
| ||Brian Wansink, Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think, Bantam, 2006. |
Atul Gawande, The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right, Crown Business, 2005
Keith Ferrazzi, Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time, Picador, 2011
|Bill Milliken, The Last Dropout: Stop the Epidemic! Hay House, Inc., 2007|
|Mark Lautman, When the Boomers Bail: How Demographics will Sort Communities into Winners and Losers, Logan Square Press, 2011|